Prof. Alidu Seidu Denies NDC Involvement in Withdrawal of PNC, LPG Candidates



Professor Alidu Seidu, the National Democratic Congress (NDC) parliamentary candidate for the Tamale Central by-election, has firmly denied claims that he or his party played any role in the withdrawal of candidates from the People’s National Congress (PNC) and the Liberal Party of Ghana (LPG).

Speaking during an interview on TV3’s Hot Issues on Sunday, September 14, Prof. Seidu stated:

“I had no involvement whatsoever. Nobody informed me about any negotiations or discussions. I filed my nomination in the morning, and it wasn’t until later in the day—around 4 to 5 pm—that I even learned that candidates from the PNC and LPG had filed.”

He added that he couldn’t speculate on what might have influenced their decisions to pull out, but acknowledged reading statements that suggested their withdrawal was influenced by both personal reasons and the recent death of Dr. Murtala, which had affected the political atmosphere in the constituency.

Prof. Seidu described the withdrawals as a practical decision.

“It’s a good move that helps save national resources. Holding an election where the outcome is fairly obvious isn’t necessary. I commend them for considering both the context and their real chances of winning,” he said.

The remarks follow official statements from both the PNC and LPG candidates announcing their withdrawal ahead of the September 30 by-election.

The LPG candidate stated:

“After broad consultations and deep reflection, I have decided to withdraw my candidature from the Tamale Central by-election. This is in the best interest of our party and the democratic process.”

Similarly, the PNC candidate acknowledged the NDC's historical strength in the constituency:

“Tamale Central has long been an NDC seat. While we believe in the PNC’s values, we must be realistic and focus on areas where we stand a real chance. For that reason, I’m stepping down.”

Their exit leaves the NDC as the dominant contender in the upcoming by-election.

Source: MyNewsGh.com


Post a Comment

0 Comments