Ex-Convict "Mama Gee" Opens Up About Troubling Teenage Years and Struggles with Street Life



A well-known resident of Krofrom in the Ashanti Region, Mama Gee, has shared a candid and heartbreaking account of her early years, revealing how peer pressure, a fractured home life, and negative influences led her into a life of crime and street activities from a young age.


In an interview on Ezra TV, which was monitored by MyNewsGh.com, Mama Gee opened up about how her troubles began at the age of 14. She explained that during her teenage years, she spent most of her time with boys from her school and neighborhood, who introduced her to destructive habits she initially resisted.


“I started smoking when I was 14,” Mama Gee recalled. “My male friends from school told me nothing would happen to me if I tried it.”


She described a pivotal moment when her life took a drastic turn. While on her way to town one day, an older relative named Dada James asked her for matches. When she told him she didn’t have any, he handed her a cigarette and asked her to light it for him.


“That was the day I started,” she said. “On the first day I smoked, it felt like I was on a different planet. I realized humans are nothing. When someone offends you, you don’t need to care. It made me quiet and humble.”


Mama Gee also pointed to her environment as a significant factor in her decisions. “My mum was aware of some of the things happening because the ghetto was right in front of our house,” she explained.


As her lifestyle spiraled out of control, Mama Gee found that those around her mirrored her choices. “Birds of the same feather flock together,” she said. “All the men I was involved with were already into the same things I was getting into.”


Her struggles continued into adulthood. Mama Gee revealed that she was sentenced to 70 years in prison while pregnant. Concerned about her unborn child, she made the difficult decision to hand the baby over to an in-law to raise.


“When the child was two years old, I gave her to my in-law,” she said. “I had wanted to abort the pregnancy, but my in-law encouraged me to give birth, so I sent the child to her.”


Mama Gee’s story highlights the powerful impact of early exposure to street life and the challenges faced by those growing up in difficult environments.


Source: MyNewsGh.com

Post a Comment

0 Comments