A young Nigerian woman working in Egypt has expressed her frustration after her brother rejected the ₦50,000 she sent to support his wife’s medical treatment, insisting he expected between ₦500,000 and ₦1 million simply because she is based “abroad.”
The woman, the youngest of seven children, explained that her brother contacted her urgently to request financial assistance for his wife’s hospital expenses. Despite her modest income, she sent the amount she could afford.
Brother Rejects Help, Demands More
According to her, her brother dismissed the ₦50,000, assuming she earns significantly more solely because she resides outside Nigeria. He reportedly insisted that he expected at least ₦500,000 to ₦1 million.
The woman revealed that she works in Cairo as a domestic worker, earning approximately ₦230,000 monthly. She added that her living conditions are far from luxurious, as she sleeps in her employer’s kitchen where her belongings are also stored.
She Shares Her Struggles
She further explained that she recently finished repaying the debt owed to the person who sponsored her travel to Egypt, leaving her with very little savings.
Her Words:
“I come from a family of seven, and I’m the last born. My brother’s wife fell sick and he begged me for money to take her to the hospital. I sent him ₦50,000.
He said he was expecting between ₦500,000 and ₦1 million. From where? People think because you’re abroad, money is everywhere. I’m only in Egypt. I live in Cairo and work as a house help.
I sleep in the kitchen; my bags are in the kitchen. Do they think money grows on trees? The worst part is that someone sponsored my trip here, and I only just finished paying off that debt.”
A video of her recounting the incident has also circulated online.
Source: gistreel


No comments:
Post a Comment